Houston is the United States fourth largest city offering great attractions to its visitors. This is a multicultural city and a diverse center. Houston has an array of activities from amusement parks, beaches to museums and various cultural activities, games to theatres. Houston has pleasant weather from autumn to spring; winters are mild and are vulnerable to hurricanes. The cheap tickets are available during summer months.
Ideal time to fly – Houston is best to be visited during early fall and spring. The weather is warm in October and early November. The off season is from June to September. Ideal time for budget travelers as the Houston hotels accommodation and the airfares come at reasonable charges, but book fast to catch up with discount rates.
Getting around- Visitors can easily navigate with rental cars. There are taxis, scheduled shuttles and buses, private limousines from the airport. Houston museum and downtown district are compact and majority hotels offer shuttle service to get around. Metro and light rail services are good, but the drivers are ruthlessly fast in rush hours.
Places of attraction
• Space Center- This Space Center has interactive displays and moon rock is great for viewing. Watching space walk train of astronauts, visiting life size shuttle and going around the space shuttle simulator is enjoyable. Kids enjoy ‘That’s so weird’ exhibition and enjoy the scary creepy monsters cave.
• Museum District- This museum has a large collection of galleries, cultural centers and museums. These include Fine Arts Museum, Holocaust Museum, Lawndale Arts Center and many more.
• Houston Zoo - This zoo is located centrally and boasts of animals over 900 species. The animals in this zoo include tigers, koalas, vampire bats, meerkats and more. There are guided tours allowing feeding a lion cub and you can also stay in a hotel near the zoo, if your kids insist.
• Old Town Spring - Located in North Houston; it has over 150 antique shops, art galleries, museums and restaurants. You can rest your feet in the Jailhouse Saloon, enjoying live music.
• Downtown Aquarium- The aquarium is impressive and has the Amazon River, Louisiana Swamp and a Shipwreck. Enjoy train ride, a Ferris wheel and Maharaja Temple exhibition.